There are hundreds of museums on Twitter including huge museums like:
- @MetMuseum (New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art)
- @NMNH (the Smithsonian's National Museum of National History)
- @MuseodelPrado (the Museo Nacional del Prado in Spain)
- @V_and_A (the Victoria and Albert Museum in London)
- @KobeFashionM (the Kobe Fashion Museum in Japan -- tweets in Japanese)
- @TheWomensMuseum (The Women's Museum in Dallas, Texas)
- @witchmuseum (the Museum of Witchcraft in Cornwall, England)
- @JamesJoyceCentr (the James Joyce Center in Dublin, Ireland)
- @TekniskMuseum (the Norsk Teknisk Museum in Norway)
Well, here are my 5 Reasons to Follow a Museum Today:
- Tweeps like @Exploratorium tweet great water cooler trivia and fun images to perk up your day. Check out this one from @NatHistoryWhale: http://bit.ly/4ZHKmO
- @Tate and other museums often do giveaways in conjunction with their current exhibitions. @iheartsam recently gave away copies of my book + tix to their Michelangelo exhibit in a tweet-to-win contest!
- Hear about special events, concerts, and speakers. Today @HolocaustMuseum is tweeting about a talk by Professor Susan Suleiman coming up next week.
- Stay up-to-date on current exhibits, acquisitions, and museum news. That's how I heard that @KimbellArt bought a Michelangelo and that the King Tut Exhibit was headed to @deyoungmuseum!
- Museums need and deserve your support! These are rough times for even the largest museums. Love science, technology, art, history, dinosaurs, plants, fashion, music... there's a museum for everyone. Find and follow one today!
I have my own list of favorite museum tweeps: http://twitter.com/AKNickerson/museums Follow the whole list, and you'll never miss another great tweet!
Additionally, the Follow a Museum Day sponsors have collected a very thorough directory of museums, sorted by country: www.FollowaMuseum.com
Oh, and by the way... I took all of these photos at @artsmia a few months ago!