I am actually fairly good at keeping my New Year’s Resolutions. In 1999 I resolved to journal everyday instead of haphazardly. I have now been doing just that for more than 10 years and am the richer for it. This year I’m adding another layer to my journaling. I’ve started a Project365 -- taking and posting at least one photograph each day. Not only do I hope to better chronicle the important moments in my life, but I also hope to improve my photography skills as well.
So, what has this first week of 2010 contained:
- January 1: I took this image just after midnight as our annual New Years house party danced outside to our New Years theme song.
- January 2: my dear and gorgeous friend, Terra. Her favorite Norwegian verb (and yes, she is just the kind of girl to have a favorite Norwegian verb) means “to cozy oneself.” That’s just what we do!
- January 3: butter cookies -- my favorites in part because they are edged in candies named for an artist. Yep, the real name for sprinkles is “Seurats” -- after Georges Seurat, the pointillist painter.
- January 4: a friend gave me a vase of paperwhites for Christmas. They bloomed for the New Year.
- January 5: Lucy, our dog. Because of her coloring, it’s really hard to photograph her face. I got a good snap today.
- January 6: Each year I add one ornament to my collection. I bought this one in Venice in 2009 -- a gorgeous gilded plum from Murano.
- January 7: We have a 100+ year old oak tree in our yard which is home to a delightful family of squirrels. Lucy chases them. They chatter at her. And I think both parties are very, very happy. This guy paused to watch me as he was making his way across our fence.
For more information about Project365 and information about how to start your own, check out these links (link list updated frequently):
- For the less-technologically confident, Project365.org offers full-service ease: Project365.org
- The Carey Adventures: Looking for a Photo Project in 2010?
- Digital Photography School: Consider Starting a Photography Project365 in the New Year
- Flickr: Project 365
- Photojojo: Project 365: How to Take a Photo a Day and See Your Life in a Whole New Way
- Digital Red Eye: Project 365 -- my first 31 Days