Welcome back! If you haven't already, I hope you'll subscribe to my RSS feed so we can stay in touch. Ciao!

Friday, June 5, 2009

Photo Friday: Herding Sheep in Ireland

On my last trip to Ireland, I spent an afternoon watching a pair of dogs herding sheep.  It was a truly remarkable experience.  The dogs were fantastically well-trained, and truly seemed to take joy in their work.

If you ever have the opportunity to watch dogs working like this, I highly recommend it!

So, if you've been to Ireland, what would you recommend that I do on my trip this month?
And if you haven't been, what would you do if you were to go?

Thanks to all who joined from DeliciousBaby.com's Photo Friday!  Visit DeliciousBaby.com to see more great Photo Friday posts.

16 comments:

Tim June 5, 2009 at 9:42 AM

I've never been to Ireland but I have enjoyed all kinds of Celtic music so I'd probably suggest finding a good folk concert. Especially if you can find a really small venue.

jessiev June 5, 2009 at 1:44 PM

you know, all the photos are so very green. i love it. great action shots!!

i grew up on a farm with sheep and goats. herding, indeed. sigh.

have a great trip!!

Kristen Gill June 5, 2009 at 3:47 PM

I've been to Ireland probably 12 or 13 times now. Plus, I lived there for one year of university. I would recommend going up to Donegal and the Northwest (Sligo & Mayo) for more pastoral scenes. I love sheep, and you will find plenty there, especially in Connemara. Enjoy your trip!

Kristen

Wanderluster June 5, 2009 at 6:22 PM

One word: cool!

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish June 5, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Wonderful series of shots. Have a great trip. It's a place we hope to make it to in the next couple of years. Look forward to seeing more pics when you return.

Rena June 5, 2009 at 8:31 PM

That is so cool! I love the pictures!

Julie June 5, 2009 at 8:33 PM

very nice pics :) we had a herding dog ourselves - an australian shepherd - even though she never got to herd sheep, she liked herding us! I am envious - have always wanted to go to Ireland - can't wait for more pictures from you!

marina villatoro June 6, 2009 at 6:25 AM

Hi,
I always found this to be interesting to do! I feel bad for people who are always doing it, must be pretty boring. But to enter their life for a day would be great. Plus, having a dog do it for you, is even better!
Photo Friday - Dominical Beach - The True Surf Town and So Much More!

itsasmallworldafterallfamily June 6, 2009 at 6:50 AM

I love the picture with the jumping sheep! I think it must be a great life, being a shepherd, always outside in that beautiful scenery. As long as you've got the right clothes!

Monna June 6, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Great shots, Angela. I loved Ireland. Loved... loved... loved it.

Divina June 7, 2009 at 12:26 AM

how about connecting with my Venetian friend in Dublin that reps Italian wines? he was also a musician in Venice and ran Mascheron!

Dominique June 7, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Loved the photo story!

Dusty Lens June 8, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Always fun to watch working dogs. If I were to go to Ireland, (I hope to in the future), I would visit St. James Gate for a Guinness. Take in a pub crawl and enjoy the music, and tour the castles in the countryside.

Anonymous June 24, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Just got back a few weeks ago and it is marvelous! Don't miss the Rock of Cashel (in Cashel, near Tipperary). If you go, walk down to the abbey ruin nearby.

Anonymous October 6, 2009 at 5:17 AM

hey
try and get down to west cork at some stage...
blarney castle and grounds are beautiful on a good day...

cork is my favourite county in all of ireland.

Angela K. Nickerson October 6, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Indeed! On my first trip to Ireland I spent a great deal of time in Cork. And I was at the Blarney Castle on a gorgeous afternoon when a wedding was going on. I agree with you, it is one of the prettiest spots in a glorious country! Thanks for stopping by!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Travel with The Gypsy

Join me in Italy as we explore the sites in my book, A Journey into Michelangelo's Rome!

For more information, read this post:

Blog Archive